The 2017 Goodwood Festival of Speed started today. Lego brought a nice surprise there – a life-sized replica of the McLaren 720S. I decided to create a small scene with the McLaren and some other Speed Champions racers at Goodwood:
I’d like to share with you my biggest project so far – Darth’s Angels. I had the idea to create custom motorcycles for the Star Wars buildable figures ever since my son got his first set. As I realized the Stormtrooper fits perfectly on the 42036 Street Motorcycle, especially on the B model. That was the first step, and after a few weeks of building, refining and constructing the photo scene finally I managed to create the shot I imagined:
For this Lava shot I had to collect around ~6000 round plates and pins 🙂 I’ll share a separate post about the techniques used for the photo because it was quite a nice challenge 🙂
Three custom motorcycles were created for Darth Vader and the two Stormtroopers. I wanted to add an extra twist to the build so all of the motorcycles are using pieces only from specific sets.
Darth Vader’s bike – 42036 Street Motorcycle + 42050 Drag Racer
First Stormtrooper bike – 42036 Street Motorcycle + 42039 24 Hours Race Car
Second Stormtrooper bike – 42036 Street Motorcycle + 42045 Hydroplane Racer + 42047 Police Interceptor
When I built the upgraded 42050 Drag Racer I wanted to film the race between the two versions, so I needed to have the start system of the drag racers so called “Christmas tree”. This device has multiple versions for the different types of races, I decided to make the following one:
As I don’t have the resources at the moment to create building instructions for this set and the changes are not that difficult, I think it is enough to share some detailed photos of the set without the body. I also took some photos of the two sets side-by-side to make the differences visible.
As many of you were curious how the motion effect of this series was made, let me show you some behind the scenes shots about it. The Rebrick contest allowed only 5 photos to be submitted, I wanted at least one of them to be really dynamic and to show the motorcycle in motion. I had some vague ideas at the beginning how this can be achieved, but with the help of some household items and leftover furniture pieces the following setup was born: