I’d like to share with you my biggest project so far – Darth’s Angels. I had the idea to create custom motorcycles for the Star Wars buildable figures ever since my son got his first set. As I realized the Stormtrooper fits perfectly on the 42036 Street Motorcycle, especially on the B model. That was the first step, and after a few weeks of building, refining and constructing the photo scene finally I managed to create the shot I imagined:
For this Lava shot I had to collect around ~6000 round plates and pins 🙂 I’ll share a separate post about the techniques used for the photo because it was quite a nice challenge 🙂
Three custom motorcycles were created for Darth Vader and the two Stormtroopers. I wanted to add an extra twist to the build so all of the motorcycles are using pieces only from specific sets.
Darth Vader’s bike – 42036 Street Motorcycle + 42050 Drag Racer
First Stormtrooper bike – 42036 Street Motorcycle + 42039 24 Hours Race Car
Second Stormtrooper bike – 42036 Street Motorcycle + 42045 Hydroplane Racer + 42047 Police Interceptor
When I built the upgraded 42050 Drag Racer I wanted to film the race between the two versions, so I needed to have the start system of the drag racers so called “Christmas tree”. This device has multiple versions for the different types of races, I decided to make the following one:
As I don’t have the resources at the moment to create building instructions for this set and the changes are not that difficult, I think it is enough to share some detailed photos of the set without the body. I also took some photos of the two sets side-by-side to make the differences visible.
As many of you were curious how the motion effect of this series was made, let me show you some behind the scenes shots about it. The Rebrick contest allowed only 5 photos to be submitted, I wanted at least one of them to be really dynamic and to show the motorcycle in motion. I had some vague ideas at the beginning how this can be achieved, but with the help of some household items and leftover furniture pieces the following setup was born:
I’d like to present you a project I created for the BMW “Build to the future” Rebrick contest. The aim was to create a futuristic BMW motorcycle while trying to match the style and colors of the brand. I did not try to add too much Technic functionality to the bike, I was rather focusing on the look and the overall presentation/photos. My submission entry was the following:
In the late 21th century only autonomous connected vehicles are allowed on public roads. Motorcycle enthusiasts can compete on closed tracks. The BMW WR 1000 is one of the finest examples of the specialized two wheelers built with a sole purpose – speed. Continuing the legacy of the world speed record breaker WR 750, this 1,000-HP all-electric motorcycle is the king of the tracks. It has two wheel hub motors powered by a quick-swap battery pack, enclosed in a lightweight carbon fiber tube frame.
Main highlights of the model:
– “tube frame” made of Technic axles and connectors
– quick-swap battery pack secured by a single pin
– integrated headlights and back lights with hidden wiring
– adjustable rear suspension
– front and rear hub wheel motors
– integrated cooler for the battery pack
– driver (robot-like Bionicle figure was created due to the restrictions of the contest, I could not use parts from other themes e.g. Star Wars)
– solar charging station for the batteries
– body panels matching the BMW color scheme
You can see the 5 entry photos for the contest and some additional ones. It was a nice challenge to create the first “action shoot”, I’ll share the creation process later in a separate post if you are interested.
The second project is about the 42050 Technic Drag Racer. Check the first part of the video below:
The Drag Racer has an impressive appearance
But it has some issues inside, like the lack of proper headroom and legroom
So we can try with a smaller driver
but I’m not sure he’ll be able to handle the situation properly…
As you saw in the video, the set itself is well designed and has a decent look. The problem is with the factory motorization option – adding the M-motor and the AA battery pack barely adds any functionality. Steering remains manual and you cannot even control the set remotely, I added the PF receiver to have at least some remote functions.
So, we have some work to do to have these issues corrected. Stay tuned for the next part!